Janet Meserve
First Judicial District
Family Court Services Manager

Kootenai County Courthouse
P: (208) 446-1179
F: (208) 446-1187

Physical Address:
324 West Garden Ave
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814
Click here for map.

Bonner County Courthouse
P: (208) 265-1449
F: (208) 265-4256

Physical Address:
215 South First Ave
Sandpoint, Idaho 83864
Click here for map.

What is Supervised Visitation?

The public policy of the State of Idaho is to protect the best interests of children whose parents have a custody or visitation matter within the family courts. Sometimes, based on issues of protection and safety, a judge will decide that in order for a child to have contact with a parent, a neutral third person must be present during any visitation. This type of third-person visitation arrangement is often called "supervised visitation" for many reasons, like:

  • To give the visiting parent a chance to address specific issues,

  • To help reintroduce a parent after a long absence

  • To help introduce a parent and a child when there has been no existing relationship between the parent and child,

  • When there is a history or allegations of domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, or substance abuse,

  • When there are parenting concerns or mental illness; or

  • When there is a parental threat of abduction.

The court order will specify the time and duration of the visits. Sometimes, the court order will also specify who the provider is to be and where the visits are to take place.

Who is a Supervised Provider?

There a three types of supervised visitation providers:

  • The non professional provider,

  • The professional provider,

  • The therapeutic provider.

The professional and therapeutic providers usually charge a fee for services and are experienced and trained to provide supervised visitation services. The non-professional provider is usually a family member or friend who does not provide supervised visitation services. Your court order will usually say which type of provider you have to use to supervise these visits.

How can I find a Supervised Provider?

Contact the Family Court Services office at 208-446-1179.

Tips for the Visiting Parent:

Being with your child in the presence of someone else may be uncomfortable for you, at least at the beginning. You probably have many questions and concerns. Do your best to focus on your relationship with your child. Your patience and commitment will pay off. Here are some suggestions that might be helpful to you:

  • Read the court order.

  • Arrive and depart on time.

  • Avoid discussing the court case or terms of the visit with your child.

  • Avoid quizzing your child about the other parent's activities and relationships.

  • Avoid making your child a messenger to the other party.

  • Say brief and positive good-byes to your child when the visit is over.

Tips for the Custodial Parent:

Supervised visitation can also be a challenge for you. Typically you have been taking care of your child's everyday needs and have a routine for yourself and your family. You usually have concerns and questions about the visits and how they will affect your child. This is understandable. Here are a few suggestions that might help you in the process:

  • Read the court order.

  • Explain to your child where and when the visits will take place.

  • Have your child ready on time and be prompt.

  • Reassure you child that you support him or her in having a pleasant visit.

  • Avoid quizzing your child about the visit.

  • Avoid making your child a messenger to the other party.

To Both Parents:

Supervised visitation can be difficult and uncomfortable at times. Often there are hurt and angry feelings toward the other parent, and it seems impossible to have a positive attitude about the supervised visitation. Remember that both of you care about your children, and that, if possible, children benefit from having two parents in their lives.

The Idaho Rules of Civil Procedure governing Supervised Visitation: Rule 16(o)

Main County Administration Building
Physical Address: 451 Government Way, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814 Mailing Address: PO Box 9000, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816-9000
Main Phone Number: (208) 446-1000 Contact Us
Click here for directions to the County Administration Building and Courthouse.