Welcome to the Human Resources Web Page!
- View the Current Job Listings (Applications are only accepted for current openings)
- Please download the Application for Employment. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download the reader here.
- Kootenai County offers a competitive benefit package, which includes medical,
dental and vision insurance, Public Employees Retirement System of Idaho (PERSI),
supplement insurance which can be purchased by employees, ten paid hoilidays, vacation and sick
leave, and many other benefits. Click here for a list of benefits offered by Kootenai County
- Kootenai County is the third largest county in Idaho, which has a total of 44 counties.
- Kootenai County is the fifth largest employer in Kootenai County with over 650 full-time, regular employees. The Sheriff's Office employs approximately 211 people.
- Kootenai County was established December 22, 1864.
- Scenic points of interest include the Silver Valley boasting the world's longest
gondola, the Cataldo Mission and the Sunshine Mine.
- This area is a recreator's dream. Within 80 miles of the city of Coeur d'Alene
there are five (5) ski resorts, thirteen (13) lakes including majestic Lake
Coeur d'Alene with its 135 mile shoreline and 90,000 sq. acres, full of Chinook
salmon and Cutthroat trout. There are scenic hiking/biking trails & nine (9) golf
courses as well.
- Ski Resorts are
- The Coeur d'Alene Resort is circled by the world's longest floating boardwalk and its' golf course boasts the only floating
golf green in the world.
- The City of Coeur d'Alene has a 121 acre natural park within the city limits named Tubb's Hill after Captain Tony Tubbs, a paddle wheeler pilot from 1882.
- Kootenai County has nine (9) elected officials
- Kootenai County encompasses approx. 1,245 square miles.
The Hiring Process
This pamphlet is to provide information about the County's recruitment process and
to supplement information that is printed in the application packets or on the
Vacancies List. Positions are typically advertised in the local paper(s). A competitive
process is used and may include, but is not limited to, ratings of training and
experience, written or oral interviews, physical fitness tests where applicable or any
other qualification that is job related.
Most recruitments are conducted to fill current vacancies.
However, some are conducted to establish an eligibility roster
for anticipated vacancies.
Departments of Kootenai County include:
Applications are only accepted for current openings
Note: Sheriff's Office and Juvenile Detention applications are accepted on a continuous
basis and eligibility rosters are established. Written exams are conducted each month for
Patrol and Detention unless otherwise specified.
The Application Process
If you feel that you meet the minimum requirements for a position as published, please submit a Kootenai County
Application, cover letter & resume unless otherwise specified. The
application must be received by the Kootenai County Human Resources Dept. by 5:00 p.m. on the
deadline date. Items postmarked on the deadline date will be accepted as well. If
information is faxed, it must be followed up by the original documentation within 5 working days.
A separate packet must be submitted for each position.
Successful Candidate Employment Information
If you are offered a position, you WILL be subject to
a pre-employment drug test.
A criminal background check will be required for some positions.
A psychological and/or polygraph test MAY be required.
New hire orientation is conducted each Monday morning with staff from the Human Resources
Dept. The purpose of orientation is to provide you with information regarding County
benefits and enroll you as a new County employee.
The Internal Revenue Code requires an employer to include each employee's Social
Security number when filing information returns, such as Form W-2. Kootenai County
requires that you have your Social Security Card on your first day of employment. If
you do not have a Social Security Card, please contact the Social Security office and
apply for a duplicate card prior to beginning employment with Kootenai County. Also,
the name on your Social Security card must match the name that is placed on your W-4.
All employees must be a U.S. citizen or submit verification of his/her legal right
to work inside the United States and will be required to provide valid appropriate documents.
A list of required documentation can be found
KOOTENAI COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
WELCOMES YOUR INQUIRIES
Applications and job descriptions are available at the 2nd floor Information Desk
Submit application packets to the above address or mail to:
Human Resources Department
PO Box 9000
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83816-9000
Kootenai County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Rights Poster: English - Spanish
Employment Eligibility: English - Spanish