< < < Back to Benefits Home

Kootenai County Worker's Compensation Program

What is Workers Compensation?

Workers' Compensation is a no-fault program that provides benefits to employees injured on the job or who develop a covered occupational disease.

How does Kootenai County provide Workers' Compensation for its employees?

The County has coverage through the Idaho State Insurance Fund.

If I'm injured on the job, where do I go for medical care?

Except in the case of a life or limb threatening injury, you must seek care services from:

Kootenai Medical Center

Occupational Medicine

2003 Lincoln Avenue, Suite 310

Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814

(208) 666-3906

Clinic Hours: Monday 12:30 to 5:00; Wednesday 12:30 to 5:00 and Thursday 7:00 to 12:00.

Appointments can be made if immediate care if not required.

The alternative is to visit the Emergency Room.

For emergency medical care, CALL 911

Life threatening emergencies are those situations when a life is in danger if immediate treatment is not received.

What injuries or illnesses are covered?

Workers' Compensation applies to accidental injuries or illnesses arising out of, and in the course and scope of, employment.

Should I report an accident even if it is minor?

YES. Serious ailments can develop from minor injuries.

Minor injuries which do not require medical treatment must be reported. A "Supervisor's Accident Report" form must be completed and sent to the HR/Risk Management Department even on minor injuries.

If injured, how do I claim medical benefits?

An employee injured on the job should report the incident to their supervisor immediately.

Within 72 hours of seeking medical treatment, a "Workers Compensation First Report of Injury or Illness" form must be completed by the supervisor and sent to the Legal Services/Risk Management Department. A claim cannot be opened nor a claim number assigned by the State Insurance Fund until the form is received.

Note: Employees may lose their right to workers' compensation benefits if they fail to report injuries promptly.

What about special medical procedures or surgery?

Special medical procedures such as MRI's, CT scans, physical therapy, chiropractic sessions, or surgery or referral to a specialist normally require prior approval from the State Insurance Fund.

What if I can't come back to my regular job but I can return to light duty work?

The employee must have a doctorís written approval to return-to-work. Appropriate work will be arranged for you as outlined in the Personnel Policy Manual.

How do I get paid if I have to be off work?

Income benefits are payable to an injured worker if disabled from work more than five (5) days. Benefits are payable from the sixth day following disability unless the claimant is hospitalized overnight or the disability exceeds fourteen (14) days. Under these conditions benefits are payable from the date of disability.

The amount of benefits depends on the worker's average weekly wage. For the first 52 weeks, it is 67% of the employee's average weekly wage.

Can I continue to receive my full salary from State Insurance Fund?

No. The IRS regulations provide that Workers' compensation not be subject to federal taxes. Workers' Compensation is also not taxed by the State.

What are my rights to appeal?

You are entitled to the appeals procedures provided by the State of Idaho Industrial Commission. For more information call the Industrial Commission at (208) 769-1452 or visit their website at http://www.iic.idaho.gov.

For more information about Workers' Compensation benefits, you can visit State Insurance Fundís website at: http://www.idahosif.org or please contact the following County department:

HR/Risk Management Department

Christina Anderson

PO Box 9000

Coeur d'Alene, ID 83816-9000

Phone (208) 446-1643