Paige Plew
Recording Manager
Email: Click Here
P: (208) 446-1480

Physical Address:
451 Government Way
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Click here for map.

Mailing Address:
Kootenai County Recorder
PO Box 9000
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816-9000

Passport Acceptance Hours
Monday-Friday 9:00am to 2:45pm
Saturday 9:00am to 12:45pm
Excluding Holidays

Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday 9:00am to 2:00pm
Excluding Holidays


Frequently Asked Questions
Recorder's Office

What is the difference between the Recorder's Office and the Records Office?

The Recorder's Office records land documents to make them public record and is located in the Administration Building. The District Court Records Office is where civil, criminal, probate, divorce, and juvenile court documents are filed and is located in the Justice Building.

Where can I get assistance to prepare legal documents?

Recorder's office staff is not authorized to provide legal guidance or forms. We recommend you contact an attorney. You may also visit the following websites for further information: and

Where can I get a copy of an Idaho birth or death certificate?

These documents are available through Idaho Vital Records.

Where can I get a copy of a divorce decree or custody order?

These documents are available through the District Court in the county where they were filed.

How can I change my name?

If you would like to change your name due to a marriage, please see our Marriage Information page. If the change is not related to a marriage, please visit for downloadable forms and instructions.

How do I research an easement, or the history of a piece of property?

You may visit our office to search the recorded land records in our public research room. We will provide instruction on the usage of our computer terminals, however, we are unauthorized to perform your research for you or interpret your search results. If you choose, you may hire a professional records research company.

Can I pay using my credit or debit card?

Generally, we will accept a debit or credit cards.
Passports are the exception.

Marriage Licenses Cash or Card
Passports Check or Money Order Only
(Made payable to the Dept. of State)
Passport Kootenai County Processing Cash, Check or Card
Recording Cash, Check or Card
Copies Cash, Check or Card
Alcohol Beverage Licenses Cash, Check or Card

Where can I apply for a Homeowner's exemption and/or the Circuit Breaker program?

Please contact the Assessor's Office.

How can I find out who owns a piece of property?

You may search the Assessor's Office database.

Where do I get a DBA (Doing Business As) form and information for business licensing?

Please contact the Idaho Secretary of State.

Where can I find information regarding food permits?

You may contact the city in which you are planning to sell, or you may contact Panhandle Health District 1.

Main County Administration Building
Physical Address: 451 Government Way, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814 Mailing Address: PO Box 9000, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816-9000
Main Phone Number: (208) 446-1000 Contact Us
Click here for directions to the County Administration Building and Courthouse.