Kootenai County Offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to employees.
- Employee Wellness Program
- Employer-paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Services
- Employer-paid Life, Long Term Disability, and AD&D Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Public Employee Retirement System of Idaho (PERSI)
- Public Student Loan Forgiveness
- Ten paid holidays, generous sick and vacation time
In order to qualify for all benefits, an employee must be a regular, full-time employee (scheduled to work 35 plus hours per week). Employees working non-seasonal positions and regularly scheduled to work 30 to 34 hours per week may qualify for medical and prescription coverage as required by the Affordable Care Act. Employees are eligible for coverage the 1st of the month following 60 days of qualifying employment.
Low Monthly Employee Rates for Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
Comprehensive medical insurance is offered through Regence BlueShield of Idaho.
- Deductible: $600 individual / $1,200 family
- Out-of-Pocket limit: $3,000 member / $6,000 family
- Copays: $25 primary physician / $40 specialist
There are two dental insurance options. All family members must be covered by the same plan.
Dental Insurance Provided by Delta Dental
- Deductible: $50 individual / $150 family
- Maximum benefit: $1,250 if dentist is contracted as PPO / $1,000 if dentist is contracted as Premier
- Preventive / Diagnostic: Covered at 100%
- No orthodontia
Dental Insurance Provided by Willamette Dental
- No deductible
- No annual maximum
- Preventive/diagnostic: covered at 100%
- Orthodontia coverage / $2,000 copay
- Limited dental offices
Vision insurance is offered through VSP Vision Care.
- Co-Pays: $10 for exam / $25 prescription glasses (basic lenses for one pair per year)
- Up to $130 allowance for frames
- Telehealth: No co-pay - 24/7/365 from the comfort of your home, while traveling, college students can see a board-certified doctor, pediatrician, or therapist.
- Cost Estimator:
- MedSavvy Rx: Compare cost and efficacy of your medications to treat your specific condition. Have a conversation with your doctor about saving money and feeling better.
Kootenai County offers a fun, engaging wellness program, which includes:
- County-paid wellness coaching on topics such as:
- Back care
- Healthy families
- Stress management
- Weight management
- And more
- Gym discounts
- Wellness challenges
Employees pay a reduced premium if they and all dependents enrolled on the County medical insurance are non-nicotine users. Nicotine users may receive the lower premium if they complete an annual tobacco cessation course. Employees must complete a tobacco attestation to receive the lower medical rates.
Public Employee Retirement System of Idaho (PERSI)
Kootenai County employees receive a pension plan through PERSI with an 11.32% employer contribution (11.66% for public safety). PERSI members are fully vested after five years of employment and receive a lifetime monthly payment upon retirement, which can be passed to the employee's designated beneficiary.
As a full-time, public sector employee your student loans may qualify for the public student loan forgiveness program. If you are employed full-time for the County (or any qualifying public employer) for 10 years, and make qualifying payments during that time, the Federal government may "forgive" the remaining balance of your student loans. Learn more about this program online.
Holidays, Sick, & Vacation Time
Kootenai County employees receive 10 paid holidays, and generous sick and vacation time.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
After five years of employment, upon separation from the County, a portion of your accrued sick pay hours will be paid into a health reimbursement account (HRA) for you to take with you and use on health insurance premiums and health related costs.
|Hours Worked Per Pay Period
||Sick Hours Accrued Per Pay Period
|Length of Service
||Vacation Accrual (40 Hour Work Week)
||Vacation Accrual (35 Hour Work Week)
|6 Months through 5 Years
||4 hours per 2-week pay period
||3.5 hours per 2-week pay period
|6 Years through Ten Years
||6 hours per 2-week pay period||5.25 hours per 2-week pay period|
|11 Years or more
||8 hours per 2-week pay period||7 hours per 2-week pay period|
Employer-Paid Life, Long Term Disability & AD&D Insurance
Kootenai County also provides County-paid life insurance equal to annual salary up to a maximum of $100,000. Long Term Disability coverage is equal to 60% of basic monthly earnings up to a maximum benefit of $3,000 per month. There are also voluntary, employee-paid life insurance buy-up options for life insurance, and short-term disability, hospital confinement, and critical illness.
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Employees may elect to save pre-tax dollars in a Flexible Spending Account to pay for qualifying health related costs.
Employer-Paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The EAP provides seven free, confidential counseling sessions per incident per year for employees, their qualified dependents and anyone living in the employee's household.