ATTENTION PASSPORT APPLICANTS:
Guidelines Pursuant Passport Services:
As of December 27, 2021, passport book fees will now be $130 for adults (16 years & older) and $100 for minors (15 years & younger).
Please be aware that mail delays are affecting when Passport Services receives applications from our office. Below are the processing times estimated by Passport Services:
Routine Service: 10-13 weeks for processing, not including mail time.
Expedite Service: 7-9 weeks for processing, not including mail times.
Anyone with a life or death emergency, or needs to travel in less than six weeks must make an appointment with the Seattle Passport Agency. Visit the links below for more information, and for pricing details.
U.S. Passport Book & Card Application Requirements for First Time Applicants
Monday - Friday
- A Passport Book is valid for international travel by air, land, or sea.
- A Passport Card is valid for travel to and from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean by land or sea only.
Check or Money Order Only
Dept of State
Check or Money
Dept of State
Dept of State
Dept of State
The passport fee MUST be paid by check or money order. Processing fees may be paid by check, money order, cash, or card. Credit and debit card payments will be charged an extra $1.00 + 3%. Kootenai County charges $0.25 per page for copies that you request for your application.
Passport applicant must be present and bring with them the items required below:
- ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE PRESENT WITH BOTH PARENTS TO SUBMIT THEIR APPLICATION. THIS INCLUDES TEENS AND MINOR CHILDREN.
- Certified copy of citizenship paperwork (certified birth certificate, birth abroad)
- Old 10 year US passport
- Naturalization paperwork must be the original document
- If you have an old passport book or card you must submit it with your application.
- Passport photos are required. Kootenai County does not take photos.
- Valid driver’s license or government issued photo identification.
- Completed application filled out in black ink only, no white out.
- Front and back copies of picture identification
- Front and back copies of citizenship paperwork (birth certificate, birth abroad, naturalization paperwork, old 10 year US passport, etc.)
- If identification presented is less than one year old or issued outside of Idaho, three additional pieces of identification listing the name on the ID will be required (this includes but is not limited to: debit/credit cards, mail, student ID, marriage license, work ID, hunting/fishing license, insurance card, etc.)
Additional Requirements for Children 15 & Under
Additional requirements for 15 years old and under:
- Both parents must be present (If only one parent is present a Statement of Consent (form DS-3053) must be completed by the non-applying parent). If the non-applying parent is unavailable and there is no court paperwork showing full custody to one parent, a Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances (form DS-5525) may be submitted.
- If the child has an old passport book or card, it must be submitted with your application in addition to a copy of the certified birth certificate.
- If the parent’s last name differs from the child’s, you must present a certified copy of documentation proving the name change.
- Parents’ valid driver’s licenses or government issued picture identification.
- Additional information is available at the following link:
Additional Requirements for Teens 16 & 17
Additional requirements for 16 and 17 years old:
- If the child has an old passport book or card, it must be submitted with your application.
- One parent must be present.
DS-11 vs. DS-82 Applications
- The DS-11 application must be used by the following applicants:
- All persons who have never applied for a passport.
- All persons whose previous passport was issued before they were 16 years of age.
- All persons whose previous passport has been expired for more than five years.
- All persons who have lost their most recent passport.
- The DS-82 application may be used by the following applicants:
- All persons whose previous passport is undamaged, was issued when they were 16 years of age or older, the passport has been expired for five years or less, AND that passport is in the person's possession. More information is available at the following link:
- Certified copies of documentation and old passports must be temporarily surrendered at time of application. Passport Services will return these documents to the mailing address you provided after your application is processed.
- If you have international travel dates scheduled within 14 days you must make an appointment with Passport Services in Seattle to apply in person. Call 1-877-487-2778 or visit Travel.State. Gov’s website for more information.
- View the fee calculator.