Court Assistance Office

Welcome to the Court Assistance Office for the First Judicial District Serving Kootenai, Boundary, Bonner, Shoshone, and Benewah Counties

Jay Q. Sturgell, Court Assistance Officer
Message Phone: 208-446-1225

 Workshop Schedule

Family Law Workshops held on Wednesdays from 10 :00 am until 12: 00 pm via Zoom. This is a form workshop that covers Divorce with and without minor children, Establishment of Paternity, Custody, Visitation, and Support, and Modification of an Existing Order. Contact the Court Assistance Office to register.


*These dates may change based on Court Directive.
Benewah County: Open Office Hours on the 3rd Monday of the month from 10 am-12 pm for walk-ins and 1 pm- 2 pm for limited appointments at the Benewah County Courthouse.
Bonner County: Open Office Hours on the 1st Friday of the month from 10 am- 12 pm for walk-ins and 1 pm- 3 pm for limited appointments in Courtroom 5 of the Bonner County Courthouse, 215 S. 1st Avenue, Sandpoint.
Kootenai County: Open Office Hours Thursdays from 10 am- 2 pm at the Kootenai County Administration Building, Room 1A, 451 N. Government Way, Coeur d’Alene.
Boundary County Self-Help Assistance available on the 3rd Friday of the month at the Boundary County Annex Building, 6566 Main St., Bonners Ferry, Idaho from 10:00 am-12:00 pm walk-ins only and 1:00-3:00 pm by appointment. Contact to schedule an appointment.
Shoshone County Self-Help Assistance available on the 4th Friday of the month in the Shoshone County Courthouse, 700 Bank St., Wallace, Idaho, 1st Floor in the County Commissioners Conference Room from 10:00 am-12:00 pm walk-ins only and 1:00- 3:00 pm by appointment. Contact to schedule an appointment. 

Services provided by 1st District Court Assistance Office

We Can Help With: 

Child Custody
Child Support
Modifications of Custody & Support
Name Changes
Landlord Tenant Eviction for Nonpayment of Rent or Forcible Detainer
Answer and Counterclaim for Divorce
Tenant Repairs
Minor Guardianships

The following forms for civil cases:

Writ of execution and garnishment
Request for trial setting
Notice of appearance
Motions for: 

  • Continuance
  • Change of venue
  • Setting aside a default 
  • Requesting service by publication
  • Renewing a judgment
  • Retaining a case open after inactivity
  • Correcting a clerical error

We Cannot Help with:

Contempt/Enforcement of Orders
Emergency/Temporary Orders
Probate, Wills, Estates
Withheld Judgments/Expungements
Termination of Parental Rights
Adult Guardianships
Real Estate/Liens
Legal Separation
Everything else not listed on the left

For other Services we do not provide consider The Idaho Volunteer Lawyer Program (IVLP), or The Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) these can be Reached through the Idaho State Bar.


Useful Links