How do I apply for an attorney?

Public Defenders are attorneys appointed by the court. If you are out of custody, you may fill out and submit an application to the Kootenai County Court Clerk, 324 W Garden Ave, Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814 for a Judge to review or by email to  If you are in custody, an application will be given to you by jail staff prior to your first appearance. You may also request the judge appoint counsel to represent you at your next court appearance.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for an attorney?
2. Will the Public Defender represent me in a civil case?
3. What are the charges for which I can be represented by a Kootenai County Public Defender?
4. Can I speak to a Public Defender if I have not been appointed by the Court?
5. Are Public Defenders real lawyers?
6. Does the Office of the Public Defender have Investigators?
7. Your Rights
8. Who is my assigned attorney?
9. When is my hearing?
10. What should I do if a friend/family member has been arrested?
11. Can I speak with my friend/family member’s Public Defender?
12. When will a Judge set bail?