What are least restrictive measures?

If a proposed protected person is unable to manage their finances, a less restrictive measure may be the use of a representative payee, who will make sure the protected person's money is managed properly, or setting up a co-signature account with the proposed protected person's bank. If a proposed person under guardianship is unable to provide for their own care and needs, a trusted person could assist them, they could assign a power of attorney, or if guardianship is believed to be necessary, a limited guardianship may be sufficient. 

Even with a guardian or conservator in place, best practice is to allow the protected person to have as much opportunity to make decisions as possible. In most situations, it is best practice to attempt less restrictive measures prior to petitioning the Court for full guardianship or conservatorship. Contact us at 208-446-2147 for any further questions.

Show All Answers

1. How do I become a guardian or conservator?
2. What are least restrictive measures?
3. What if I cannot afford an attorney?
4. Am I liable for the protected person's decisions?
5. How often must I report to the Court?
6. Who reviews my reports?
7. Can I be paid for being a conservator?
8. What rights do persons under guardianship and/or conservatorship have?