What is Required of the Parents/Guardians of Juveniles in the Diversion Program?

Parents and/or Guardians of juveniles in the Diversion program play an important role in holding the juvenile accountable while also addressing competency development and upholding community safety.  Kootenai County Juvenile Diversion makes every attempt to collaborate with the parents/guardians of the juveniles in the program whenever possible. A parent/legal guardian of a juvenile must be present to sign the Diversion Agreement along with the juvenile. Engaged parents/guardians help ensure that the juvenile receives the most effective intervention possible through the Diversion process.

Parents/Legal Guardians of juveniles in the Diversion program are REQUIRED to do the following:

  • Be present during the initial meeting and consent to the juvenile’s decision to participate in the Diversion program.
  • Arrange transportation to and from assigned classes and activities.
  • NOTE: It is important juveniles be on time to all assigned classes and activities, and are picked up on time after the class or activity.
  • Report any violation of the Diversion terms and conditions committed by the juvenile to the Diversion office.

In addition to the above requirements, parents/guardians are encouraged to support the juvenile in one or more of the following ways to ensure best chances for success:

  • Actively engage with your child.  Talk to them about their offense and the expectations for behavior that both your family and society have for them.  Talk to them about the possible consequences of continued anti-social or criminal behavior.  Model the kind of behavior and lifestyle that you would like your child to adopt. 
  • Support your child’s participation in the Diversion program.  Encourage them to take the program seriously and take advantage of the opportunity to understand, learn, and grow from their experience.  Support and encourage them to fully comply with all conditions and expectations of the Diversion program.
  • If substance abuse is a factor in your child’s case, support them in confronting substance abuse and addiction in their lives.  Help them to identify motivations for living clean and sober.  Support them in finding and accessing substance abuse treatment as needed.  Support them in their need to live a sober lifestyle by not exposing them to drug and alcohol abuse.  Do not possess or use illegal substances in your own life.  If alcohol or tobacco abuse is a problem for your child, do not allow them to be easily accessed by your child and refrain from using these substances in the presence of your child.
  • Support your child’s emotional and psychological needs as necessary.  Get them into counseling as needed.  Enroll in, and participate in, family counseling to address family issues as needed.  Sign up for and attend parenting classes as necessary.  If you need help accessing therapeutic services or parenting classes talk to your child’s Diversion case officer or contact the Department of Health and Welfare to find out about reduced cost and no cost services.