Which vehicles must be registered and titled in Idaho?

Generally, any vehicle operated on public highways must be registered and titled. Also, various boats and watercraft are required to be titled. Any motorized boat used on Idaho waterways must be registered. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles if you need to title or register.


  • Ambulances
  • Any trailers over 2,000 pounds
  • ATVs (all terrain vehicles)
  • Boats/watercraft
  • Buses
  • Motor homes
  • Motorcycles/motorbikes
  • Passenger cars and pickups
  • Snowmobiles
  • Taxis
  • Travel trailers
  • Trucks (non-commercial and commercial)
  • Wreckers

Mobile homes and manufactured homes (usually need a pre-paid tax receipt from the Treasurer's Office)


All of the above, plus: 

  • Boat trailers
  • Commercial trailers
  • Off-highway stickers
  • Pickup mounted campers
  • Rental trailers
  • Snowmobile groomers
  • Temporary handicap placards
  • Utility trailers

  For more information, visit our DMV page.

Show All Answers

1. Do you do Driver's Licenses?
2. I just bought a car from a private party, how can I get it registered?
3. I’m moving here from out of state, what do I need to register my car?
4. I’ve made an appointment for the DMV but don’t remember when it is?
5. I have an appointment because I just bought a car, what do I need?
6. My tags expired and I can’t get in right away what can I do?
7. I don’t have the QLESS app, how can I make an appointment?
8. I sent off my tabs to be renewed by mail, how can I check their status?
9. I’m trying to renew my off highway atv/utv stickers, snowmobile registration, and/or boat registration where do I go?
10. Where do I go to register and title my vehicle in Idaho?
11. What are the office hours for motor vehicle licensing?
12. Which vehicles must be registered and titled in Idaho?
13. What should I bring when registering for my vehicle registration and title?
14. What if I am still making payments on my out of state vehicle?
15. Where can I get more information about vehicle titling and licensing?