This logging, fishing, and limestone - mining community was first known as Squaw Bay. After 1900 the name was changed to Bayview. In 1910 a group of Spokane entrepreneurs formed the Prairie Development Company and platted the town site, hoping that the new town would attract tourist and residents. Bayview was laid out with 27 blocks of streets and avenues. The Spokane International Railway (SI) provided transportation from Spokane. The Navy took over the hotel during World War 2. After the war the hotel became a private home and was later demolished in the mid-1960s. Bayview is known for its extensive fishing, boating, and recreation. About 200 float homes are also located in Scenic Bay.