As one of the fastest growing and most beautiful counties in Idaho, Kootenai County is one of the best places to work in law enforcement. The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office serves a population of 150-000-over roughly 1,310 square miles.
The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office is led by Sheriff Bob Norris and Undersheriff Dan Mattos. As of 2018, the Sheriff's Office employs 192 sworn personnel and 126 non-sworn personnel. The commissioned ranks are (in ascending order):
- Deputy/Professional Staff
Kootenai County regularly recruits for the following positions (view job descriptions):
- Professional Staff
- Detention Deputy (entry level and lateral)
- Emergency Communications Officer (911)
- Patrol Deputy (entry level and lateral)
Training & Benefits
As an employer of choice, we offer:
- Paid training and ongoing educational and advancement opportunities
- Special teams:
- Detention Response Team
- Dive Rescue Team
- And more
- A pension plan with an 12.28% employer contribution and a lifetime payout upon vesting/retirement
- Excellent and comprehensive benefits. For example, employee-only (non-nicotine) medical/dental/vision premium of only $55.33 per month.
- Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program
- GI Bill Programs: We are an "On-The-Job Training and Apprenticeship Certified Employer"