To get married in Idaho (Marriage Application):
- Applicants 18 years of age and older are required to:
- Appear together in our office
- Be getting married in the state of Idaho
- Present payment in cash or card
- Cash: Monday through Friday $31 or Saturday $48
- Credit/Debit Card: Monday through Friday $32.93 and Saturday $50.44
- Have knowledge of United States social security number
- Present government issued, photo identification
- View requirements for applicants 17 and under (PDF)
Once the marriage license is issued, the couple will present it to the officiant of their choosing so they may perform a wedding ceremony. In Idaho, the marriage license has no expiration date, witnesses are not required, and there is no waiting period. You and/or your officiant do not need to be Idaho residents, but your ceremony must take place in the State of Idaho
Additional Requirements for Non U.S. Residents
Bring photo identification from the country in which you currently reside and visit your nearest U.S. Social Security Office to obtain a letter verifying your social security status, and bring it with you to our office.
Performing a Marriage Ceremony in Kootenai County
You are not required to be an Idaho resident, but the ceremony must take place in the State of Idaho. View further instructions (PDF).
Correcting an Already Issued Marriage License
If there is incorrect information on your marriage license, please submit a signed and notarized Affidavit of Correction (PDF) to our office by mail or in person.