To get married in Idaho (Marriage Application):
- Applicants 18 years of age and older must:
- Appear together in our office
- Be getting married in the state of Idaho
- Present payment in cash or card
- Cash: Monday through Friday $31 or Saturday $48
- Credit/Debit Card: Monday through Friday $32.93 and Saturday $50.44
- Have knowledge of United States social security number
- Present government issued, photo identification
- Photo identification can be expired as long as the picture is of good likeness of the applicant. If your temporary identification does not have a photo and you are not in possession of an old ID, please bring your temporary ID as well as some other form of photo identification. For example: work ID, Costco card with photo, student ID.
- View requirements for applicants 17 and under (PDF)
Once the marriage license is issued, the couple will present it to the officiant of their choosing so they may perform a wedding ceremony. In Idaho, the marriage license has no expiration date, witnesses are not required, and there is no waiting period. You and your officiant do not need to be Idaho residents, but your ceremony must take place in the State of Idaho
Additional Requirements for Non U.S. Residents
Non U.S. residents must bring photo identification from the country in which he or she currently resides. They must also visit the U.S. Social Security Office to obtain a letter verifying the status of their social security. The identification and letter must be presented to the recording clerk at the time of marriage application.
Performing a Marriage Ceremony in Kootenai County
You are not required to be an Idaho resident if you are performing a wedding ceremony in the state. View further instructions (PDF).
Correcting an Already Issued Marriage License
If there is incorrect information on your marriage license, please submit a signed and notarized Affidavit of Correction (PDF) to our office by mail or in person.