Duties of the Elections Office
Elections are extremely complex. Transparency and accuracy are critical to this department.
- Conduct all public elections in the County
- Count all ballots cast, including absentee by mail, Early Voting, Election Day and Write-ins
- Voter Registration
- Register voters and maintain all voter registration cards; hard copy and electronic
- Remove voters from the registered voter rolls who no longer live in Idaho, are deceased, or for any other reason are not eligible to vote in Idaho
- Change information on registered voter rolls when a change request is received
- Absentee Voting
- Accept absentee ballot requests; send, receive, and verify absentee ballots
- Provide Early Voting Polling place to voters at the Elections Office two to four weeks before each election
- Prepare ballots and supply an appropriate amount to each Polling place
- Work closely with 44 taxing districts
- Qualify candidates for County offices
- Process Petitions for all candidate filings
- Receive candidate campaign finance reports for County offices, College Trustees, School District Trustees and PACs (Political Action Committees).
- Provide County candidates with Nomination and Election Certificates
- Publish all election notifications in the local newspaper
- Hire and train poll workers
- Select, acquire and equip polling places
- Maintain election equipment
- Maintain statistics on election results, voting history, and voter registration
- Verify petition signatures for initiative, referendum and recall petitions as well as candidate qualifying petitions
- Maintain precinct information, including a listing of streets and parts of streets that are in each precinct
- Manage storage and retention requirements for all Election documents
- Participate and assist with redistricting and Commissioner District changes
- Make precinct boundary adjustments as needed
In addition, the Manager is available to speak at schools or civic groups about elections, voter registration, and voting.
The elections department is a team of five full-time staff and temporary employees as needed.